Friday, February 19, 2021

Blacklist Finally We Got Our IPA

Blacklist Finally We Got Our IPA.

7 % ABV, 60 IBU. Blacklist Brewing, Duluth, MN. 


Blacklist is one of those breweries who wants to do a specific thing, in their case creating Belgian-style beers, but their fan base keeps asking for an IPA. Or, more likely, people walk into the taproom and say, "what's your IPA, do you have any, or....?" Exactly the kind of question, exactly the phrasing I was once posed at Harriet. Take your West Side, and be happy, you. On the other hand, I recall hearing one of the owners at Fulton saying that people were asking them to do Belgian-style beers, to which he replied, "we love them, too, but it's not what we do." Not every brewery can be all things to all people, though some may try. 

And henceforth, Blacklist has decided to diversify and create non-Belgian style beers for those that don't want them. And here, they finally have their IPA, and I'm finally going to drink it. I like my IPAs, and I want to like this one. 

(This shouldn't necessarily go into a tulip, but it's my Blacklist glass, so use it I shall.)

Lightly hazed, bright golden/amber hue, lush and long-lasting ivory-toned head. Looking good. 

In the nose: Big, bold hoppiness, citrus and pine at play. Slight sweetness. 

In the mouth: Huge bite of bitterness, right from the top. Dankalicious. Aggressive expression of the palate-busting West Coast style. Low on the malt-o-meter. Lemon and grapefruit. Medium-bodied. Just a little bit juicy, ultimately brittle and dry. 

I enjoy this one, and I would return to it again, but I don't think it's the IPA people were looking for. Here are some excerpts from Untappd, where this beer receives a solid 3.5 average.

Jeff H says: "Bitter. Like, no malt. At all." Like, zoinks, Scoob.

Alec C. gives it 1.75 stars and writes: "Finally we got our asshole. That's what this tastes like." Ouch! Alec, do kiss you mother with that mouth?

Eric V. opines: "Good - a little more way coast than I was hoping for" I disagree, it is just the right amount of coast. 

Kyle M. offers this description: "Pretty awful to be honest. Taste like the evergreen tree in my front yard. But it’s my day off so I will still drink it & another one."

Scott G. tells us: "Good hoppy flavor with a hint of dark or chocolate flavor. I like it." To each their own, but...chocolate? No...

I'll stop there, because I'm tired of seeing pictures of people holding cans in their hands. Get a glass and pour it people, make sure it's clean, and turn the glass around if you're using one with another brewery's logo. Why is that so hard. 

Anyway, I liked it, but didn't love it. Here's what the brewery says: Sometimes waiting makes things better. Finally stretching our west-coast-wings, we introduce you to our California-yeast cousin. Bright, fresh hop notes with minimal malt to get in the way of your alpha-acid fling. So squint your eyes, look straight at the sun, ‘cause the only sense you need for this affair is your tastebuds.

No comments: