Friday, February 12, 2021

Montgomery Yippee Ki Yay Imperial Peanut Butter Porter


Montgomery Yippee Ki Yay Imperial Peanut Butter Porter.

7.6 % ABV. 59 IBU. Montgomery Brewing, Montgomery, MN. 

So, it seems that MBC used to have an imperial peanut butter porter called Yippee Skippy, which I never tried.  And it also seems that the fine folks at Hormel, current owner of the Skippy peanut butter brand, took exception to the use of their trademark and sent a cease and desist. MBC changed to name to the iconic phrase from "Die Hard" and the new label for the new name for the old beer has scenes from the film acted out by peanuts. Because. 

And this is the second beer I got from my co-worker while she was winding down her peanut butter porter/stout phase. Told me she wasn't interested in finishing off her fourth can. I gave her a Beaver Island Sweet Miss Peanut Butter Chocolate Oatmeal Milk Stout in exchange. She liked it okay. Will I like this one? Let's find out...

I'll note before beginning that the old Yippee Skippy was 8.6 % abv, and this new one a less imperial 7.6.

Dark brown, nearly black, ultimately opaque, large brownish head that slims down soon.

In the nose: Peanut butter and chocolate come spilling out. Not too much else.

In the mouth: Slightly sweet, minor hops, well balanced, smooth and easy going. Medium bodied, bordering on full. Cocoa more than peanut butter in the flavor. Mostly malty. 

This is tasty stuff, but not especially remarkable. 

I'm kind of on the fence on this one, so I'll poll the users of untapped: 

Laurel F. says: "Wow!! This has the best peanut butter taste hands down! Smooth creamy delicious.... Yum!!"

Two exclamation points, huh...could have used an extra "a dum dum", though, to round it out. 

Says Rick F.: "Yippee-ki-yay mother effers! This is an absolutely fantastic peanut butter Porter! Very smooth on the palate, and a nice heavy peanut aftertaste. Low bitterness, and a nice sweet Loopty loo around the tongue."

Okay, Rick, I note your enthusiasm.

And now, for the first time, I see that Untappd has it as "Yippie Ki Yay." Why they or Bruce Willis left out the "Yi Yo" part from the song Bing Crosby sang in 1936's "Rhythm on the Range" no one seems to know. 


One thing I definitely notice, though, is that everyone is tasting more peanut butter than I am. Am I missing the peanut butter gene? 



No comments: