Monday, February 22, 2021

Oliphant Cats Cats West Coast IPA

Oliphant Cats Cats West Coast IPA.

7.5 % ABV. Oliphant Brewing, Somerset, WI. 


Three years ago, or so, Oliphant released a West Coast-style IPA called "cats, cats, cats, CATS!!!", or something like that. Was this the same beer under a new name, I wondered? I asked Josh who told me that they were saving that name for when they make a double IPA version. So, it begins with Cats Cats, to become Cats Cats Cats Cats, as they have done with Gorb Gorb and Zozo Gun Gun. But, I ponder, why not call the new DIPA Cats Cats Cats Cats Cats Cats Cats Cats? What about that, huh?

Anyway, same beer or not, I'm going to review it again, just for fun...and just as soon as I get this cat off of my arm....damn you, Sonny Boy!

Clear (with a slight chill haze), bright golden hue, long-lasting and lacey white head. Looking great!

In the nose: Bold citrus and pine. Orange, grapefruit, a pinch of pineapple. 

In the mouth: Brash bitterness pounces the palate, plays around and sticks it out for the long haul. Slightly fruity and juicy, but ultimately dry and just a little brittle. Medium body, light malt, nothing but hops and all the goodness that comes from them. Flawless rendition of the style. Make more of these please!

IPA w/ Cascade,Centennial Hops

So, I wonder if my old review of the earlier beer read the same, and, yeah, pretty much. Read it here. Is it the same beer, though. The other was reportedly made with Chinook, Columbus, Cascade, and Centennial hops, and for this one they kept to the final two, apparently. Nothing wrong with that, that's a classic combo right there. They can't all be Citra and Mosaic. 

No comments: