Friday, September 10, 2021

BlackStack TDH Thread Count Triple Dry-Hopped Double IPA

BlackStack TDH Thread Count Triple Dry-Hopped Double IPA.


8.1% ABV, BlackStack Brewing, St. Paul, MN. 

I’m not a fan of the TDH DIPA, or TIPA...or even DDH, for that matter. The fewer DHs the better, I say, and I must be in the minority. I thought it was fun when beers were dry-Hopped, singly, that was cool, but now they’re going nuts, thinking that it improves an IPA to keep the hops out of the picture until the very end. “It’s softer now, man, can’t you dig it when your IPA is nice and soft?”

Anyway, I received this sample and all samples get a review, so here we go...

Thoroughly clouded, bright golden hue, slim white head. 

In the nose: sweetness first, tropical fruit notes coming first, citrus behind. Pineapple and papaya rule the roost. Soft, of course.

In the mouth: soft, sweet, and with only the slightest trace of bitterness. Making this the very antithesis of the sort of double IPA, you know, the that is wonderfully bitter and plump with citrus and pine. That old West Coast Style, the kind no one knows how to make any more.

I had to look back and see if I’d had any of the previous Thread Counts. No, so I’d never had the chance to commend them on the name. Thread Count, like a pillow, cause it’s pillowy. That’s clever. I have to stop now before I further become the caricature that some already see me as. It’s true, in my day, Double IPAs were bitter, and that was good, because we liked it! Dagnabbit!

I wish all my BlackStack reviews didn’t end up like this. Next time I write about them, it won’t be a TDH or aDDH...or anything promising to taste like something you sleep on.

We've all heard of less is more, but maybe with Thread Count... Not so much? Higher thread counts make for softer sheets, and more 'schmere makes for softer beer. Our hand-selected Mosaic, Cashmere, Mosaic Cryo & Cashmere Cryo spun together thrice for Egyptian cotton level lushness. Who knew soft could go so hard?


No comments: