Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Founders Highly Acclaimed KBS A Flavored Stout Maple Mackinac Fudge

Founders The Amazing Kosmicki's Highly Acclaimed KBS A Flavored Stout Maple Mackinac Fudge. Malt beverage with artificially flavored Mackinac Fudge Coffee. 

11% ABV, 40 IBU. Founders Brewing, Grand Rapids, MI. 


And here we have a beer that I have sat on for a good year, for no other reason than that I could. Many times over the past twelve months or so I have actually intended to drink and take notes upon it, but some voice inside me said, no, save it, for it is time to sleep.

Tonight, I silence that voice. 

And this may be a problem. You can't buy this beer anymore. Reading this post does you no good, if you glean from my writing that it's a beer you'd like to seek out and drink. For that, I apologize. 

But I don't apologize too much, for this is the journal of the beers I'm drinking now, now matter how missing from the shelves or out of season. I can't guarantee that'll you'll be able to drink them all yourself. That is the passion and the struggle. 

Full-on ebony appearance, throughly opaque, rich brown head, if slim, at best. 

In the nose: Caramel, coffee, massive malt, vanilla, coffee, dark fruit, ...and fudge. Sure, fudge. Maple? Sure, some of that. 

In the mouth: Rich and sweet. Deep, full-bodied. Vanilla and oak meet bourbon barrel and...fudge coffee? Is that right? They didn't add fudge, but "fudge coffee"? That's a head scratcher, there. 

I feel that this might have been "fudgier" when fresh. I did get to share a sample, way back then, and then I bought a bottle and saved it until tonight. No reason. Just realized that it had been nearly a year, and I'd better crack it open. My procrastination knows no bounds. 

Rich, deep, sweet, immense, almost overpowering...no, not quite. But, big, yeah, big. 

Michigan didn't invent old-fashioned fudge, but it was perfected here. We pay tribute to this time-honored tradition with KBS Maple Mackinac Fudge. By amplifying the rich chocolate notes of KBS using Mackinac Fudge coffee, then adding maple syrup and aging it in oak bourbon barrels, we've created a bold new take on our barrel-aged classic - one that could only have originated in Michigan.

No comments: