Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Alesmith Horny Devil Belgian-style Ale


On my last visit to Dave's BrewFarm, we made another stop at Casanova's in Hudson, WI for more beer we can't get here. This time, I had actual money I could spend in the actual bank, so there were more choices to make. What haven't I had in a while from Alesmith, I wondered, and I found this one.

Alesmith Horny Devil, Belgian-style ale brewed with coriander. 10% ABV. Brewed and bottled by Alesmith Brewing Company, San Diego, CA.



Notes from my first bottle, March, 2005:

Appearance: Bright orange/peach color, small offering of foam.

Sweet, fruity aroma, pronounced spiciness, from the coriander and Belgian candi sugar. Very nice.

Taste: big, big,big, and bold in the mouth, slick and delicious, though it drifts away off of the palate quickly, though never exactly leaves. Fat fruit, utterly tasty, though it could stand to be a bit more complex. Like an extra-strong tripel, with a fuller body. Alcoholic strength becomes heavier and more predominant in the overall feel, and I actually like it better as the bottle drains. Funny, that.
Full-bodied, long, fruity, spicy finish. A nice brew for sharing with friends, celebrations, nice dinners....wish I had a bottle for every happy occasion that comes my way.

Here's the label gobbledygook:

Horny Devil is our interpretation of a Belgian-style Golden Ale. Brewed with authentic Belgian ingredients including candy sugar and a trappist yeast strain, it's fruity and spicy aromas include notes of orange, banana, and peppercorns, coriander seeds add refreshing citrus notes which meld seamlessly with the beer's delicate malt sweetness. Horny Devil finishes with a lively carbonation and a refreshingly dry finish."  That's white letters on a brown bottle. Then commences red letters on brown glass, and I'm not going to struggle through that. It's probably not that important.

No comments: