Friday, January 9, 2015

Pushing that Rock: Knocking back a growler of Sisyphus Maple Stout


Sisyphus Maple Stout. 7% ABV. Oatmeal stout fermented on hard maple honeycombs. Further details elude me. ABV? OG? I'll fill them in later, if I can.

Here's my first growler from Sisyphus. They started selling a few weeks ago, but I haven't had a chance to visit them and get one until now. Rather than 64 ouncers, they're using the only other size the law will allow a small brewery to use: 25 ounces, or 750 ml, same size as a bomber. Either 25 or 64, those are the choices. Not sure why. These are our rules, we've got to change them one by one.

A note on the glassware used. I held off on buying a Sisyphus snifter/tulip because I never had any of their beers to drink at home, and I had plenty of that style of glasses. For the first time I took home some Sisyphus, I contemplated bringing back a branded glass, too, until I decided I didn't want just another tulip of the same shape and style, with a different logo. So, I got the little guy, and gee, does it look silly, especially next to a growler. But, what the hell, so it's absurd. What in life isn't?

Enough of that, let's drink some beer.

Appearance: solid blackness, with a tight, toasted tan head.

Aroma: Roast-y and bittersweet at first, then smoothness reigns. Sweet malty notes are in there, too. Dark fruit hints, as well, raisin and date.

Taste: As in the nose, bittersweet-ness and roasty malt comes across first and foremost. The eponymous maple doesn't scream out of the brew, it hums and whispers. It's from the wood, not the syrup, and the effects are delicate and subtle, but highly rewarding. Oats aid the texture and the drinkability. Those dark fruit flavors from the aroma pop up now, too. It's tasty, tasty stuff and I'm glad to be drinking it.

No comments: