Thursday, January 29, 2015

Deschutes Zarabanda Saison


Deschutes Zarabanda, Ale with lemon verbena, pink peppercorn, sumac and dried lime. What? Huh? What did I get myself into?

Best by: ? Can't read it.

Crafted in collaboration with renowned chef Jose' Andres.

Appearance: clouded, straw yellow color, slim and soon-gone white head.

Aroma: Spices and lemon zest. A little peppery, Belgian yeast.

Taste: Nice and citrus-y, neatly spicy, lean-bodied. Classic farmhouse ale flavor. Spice and lemon rises up in intensity, but remains low-key and pleasant. A little spice, a touch of sweet, and a hit of sour, here and there. Refreshing and terrifically drinkable.

What's a Zarabanda, though? Maybe the label will tell me…"We looked to acclaimed chef Jose Andres to help us create a Spanish take on the farmhouse style saison. The addition of lemon verbena, pink peppercorn, sumac, and dried lime infuse the chefs distinctive flavors into the brew--an ale purposefully crafted to complement all your culinary endeavors. Or to be savored by itself."

Well, I still don't know what a Zarabanda is, no thanks to Mr. Label Copy. (I've since discovered that it is the name of a Spanish dance.) Yes, it's a tasty saison, if heavy on the lemon and lime, but nothing too special. I can't think of whether Deschutes has made a beer quite like this, so I'm glad I tried it, and glad it was only $4.99.

No comments: