Friday, January 2, 2015

The Bruery 7 Swans-A-Swimming Belgian-style Quadrupel Ale


The Bruery 7 Swans A Swimming. Belgian-style Quadrupel Ale. The seventh verse of our Twelve Days of Christmas series of beers showcases the rich, malty character of a Belgian-style quadruple. Happy Holidays! Alc 11% by Vol.

Appearance: thick, murky, bordering purple and black, with a head that lasts a blink  and nothing more, not enough to stay so I can snap a pic.

Aroma: dark fruit, light spices. huge malt tones, suggesting sweetness, molasses, grapes, dates, tobacco…other stuff.

Taste: Sweet fruity flavors climb on board the palate first, rich and luxurious. Medium-bodied, nondescript finish, sweetness lingers a bit on the palate. The tasty, tasty malt is the main thing here. I wish there was more, though.

Why am I so greedy? Why do I demand something extraordinary, isn't that an outrageous conceit? I need that otherworldly, ethereal specialness …is that too much? Perhaps? But, this is The Bruery, and there are certain expectations.

It may be over 10%, it may be malt-forward, but it misses the mark with the Belgian flavor. It lacks that spark. Take that particular insistence of mine away, and it's a damned tasty ale that works for right now. Yeah, the more I forget that stuff, I can let what it is sink in and enjoy it. Why not?

No comments: