Saturday, January 10, 2015

Founders Big Lushioius (sic) Raspberry Chocolate Stout


Here's a word about this one before I begin. The price was a bit more than I normally like to pay, $15 a bomber. But, it's a Founders beer, and it's a raspberry chocolate stout. How could I go wrong. It's really a bottle meant for a tasting party or a bottle share, not for me to drink by my lonesome late at night, but I couldn't write notes in those circumstances. All of this, I do it for you. Ever so humbly. I drink the beers for you. Remember my sacrifice.

Founders Big Lushious (sic) Stout Brewed with Chocolate and Raspberries. 2014.

Appearance: Intense blackness, large toasted tan head, looking fantastic. Couldn't look better, in fact.

Aroma: Fruit is first out of the gate, raspberry is on top, wrapped in chocolate. More sweetness than tart, though they're both they're doing a fruit-cocoa tango. Right on .

Taste: Mmm, sweet and tart raspberry flavor floods the mouth, then chocolate takes over. It's nothing but big and bold and smooth and delicious. Loads and loads of dark, lush malt, dripped over with fruit and chocolate. Mmmm.

This one feels strong, but I can't find the ABV anywhere. Free of all gobbledygook, which is fine by me. Maybe gobbledygook, though, would explain the misspelling, or why the hot brunette of the label illustration is squeezing a raspberry over her shoulder.

I'll go back to the key word: yum. And then some.

Wait! I found some info! ABV: 7.8%. And: "Big Lushious is a deep, rich stout that’s packed with flavor: roasted malts, all-natural dark chocolate, a subtle suggestion of burnt coffee grounds and a kiss of tart raspberries. At 7.8% ABV, it’s big, sumptuous and extravagant, but also balanced."

No comments: