Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Dogfish Head Beer Thousand


So there I was scanning the shelves at Casnova's in Hudson, not quite sure what I "needed" from Dogfish Head (turns out, now that I've checked, that I "need" 60 Minute IPA. though I had thought for sure that I'd added that here. Next time…), and I grabbed a 4-pack of this thing called "Beer Thousand." I don't often go for double/imperial pilasters, but I always feel like giving DFH brews a shot. Also, I don't know much about Guided by Voices. Just that they're a band, and probably not an instrumental one, I'm guessing. Getting beyond that, it's time to crack it open and drink it down.

"A right-lyrical lager brewed with ten varieties of grains and ten varieties of hops." 10% ABV.

Appearance: clear, bright golden hue, beautiful white head.

Aroma: sweetness, grains, honey. and along comes alcohol.

Taste: Repeat the above, then add a touch of harsh bitterness, a whiff of astringency and the looming onset of alcohol, but faster. I avoid double pilsners more often because they remind me most of all of slightly refined malt liquors. Not really delivering more than the booze, and significantly lacking in flavor. I don't hate this. It is, after all, beer, and you can, more or less, drink it. But I'll be glad when it's done and won't buy another.

Hey, there's gobbledygook on the side: "Complex and rugged, 20 years in the making, and much like Guided By Voices' Bee Thousand, better than ever. 10 grains X 10 hops X 10%= Beer Thousand."

No comments: