Tuesday, January 27, 2015

'T Gaverhopke Extra


'T Gaverhopke Extra Belgian Ale. Produced and bottled by Brouwerij 'T Gaverhopke, Strasegem, Belgium. "Ambachtelijk bier van hoge gisting." 12 % alc. by vol.

Never heard of this one, or this brewery, until it was pointed out to me by my friend Paul, at Lake Wine & Spirits. Hoppy Belgian pale ale it seems, or a Belgian IPA, is another way it's put. At 12%? Okay, I'm sold, let's get into it.

Appearance: dark, cloudy, burgundy-hued, under a creamy, light cocoa layer of froth, looking great. I didn't anticipate an ale this dark, for some reason.

Aroma: Beautiful. Dark and malt-accented, with that particular inflection of Belgian yeast. Reminds me a bit of a dubbel, though it's leaning toward a quad. Slightly spicy with mellow notes of dark fruit, raisin, fig, plum. Loving it.

Taste: Mmm. Rich, sweet, deep and delicious. Why I thought I was opening a bottle of any Belgian IPA, I'm not sure anymore, but what we certainly have is a quadruple that starts out tasting like a dubbel until the booze starts knocking. All those flavors noted in the nose are arriving on the palate, big and thick as can be. Delicious and drinkable. High hops here, but more malt, and tremendous sweetness kept at bay with a ballast of bitterness. More succulent fruits and such, rich and at times sugary, rum-drenched raisins, cocoa, depth and complexity. Nice, nice, nice.

There isn't any gobbledygook on the paper glued to the glass, not beyond the government warning. Well, there's that "ambachtelijk" stuff, but that doesn't count as gobbledygook. Not unless I can't translate it. (I can't find any translations on their website, the English section isn't up yet.) (Wait, I found something somewhat helpful.)

Past that, I'm glad I bought this bottle and doubly glad I drank it down.

No comments: