Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Fair State India Pale Ale


Fair State Co-op India Pale Ale, Brewed by the Fair State Brewing Cooperative, NE Minneapolis, MN. IBU 64, ABV % 6.4. "Drink Fresh."

Appearance: hazy, bright golden-hued, sizable and lasting ivory head.

Aroma: fresh citrus fruit notes beam out of the glass, tropical notes jump into the stream, orange meets pineapple, tangerine tangoes with papaya. Beautiful.

Taste: Aggressive bitter bite from the start, light to medium body, crisp malt body. Impressive, immense hop blast never quits. Slight astringency. Ends dryly. Overall pleasant West Coast-style IPA. Yum. I like it.

Fair State is community-owned brewery at Central and Lowry in NorthEast Minneapolis. It opened last fall (August? September? I can't remember) and I got my first taste of their beers at the Autumn Brew Review, and soon tap handles appeared throughout the city. I made a visit by bike in October and took notes by hand, but never posted them. There's just something about transcribing from handwritten scribbles that exacerbates my procrastination.

My second visit occurred a few Sundays ago, and I found myself even more impressed with their output. Next time I go, I'm bringing a growler home, for sure. This is the first bottle they've put out to market. And I think I'll read the label now.

"A collective perspective. At Fair State Brewing, our cooperative model puts the mutual love between craft brewer patron to work to create something that truly belongs to us all. It's our belief that quality beer can build infinite community. Cheers!" "Pale, dry and aromatic. Brewed with Horizon, Chinook, Crystal, Amarillo and Columbus hops."

No comments: