Thursday, May 14, 2015

Trappistes Rochefort 6

As I try to continue to survey the local brewing scene and make notes on each bottle and can available, I also think on what else may be missing from this blog. Maybe the Belgians? As I search the shelves, for what I haven't included here and seek new beers I haven't tried, I sometimes forget about the greats, the favorites, that I've neglected for so long.

And so I will now write fresh notes about Trappistes Rochefort beers of the Abbey St. Remy. First one will be the 6, alc. 7.5% Vol. 11.2 fl. oz. 330 ml. Authentic Trappist Product.

Appearance: clouded dark amber coloring, vast creamy head, looking great.

Aroma: sweet, citrus-y, with the requisite Belgian yeast funk. redolent with a plentitude of fruity flavors. Grape must meets Belgian funk. Cherries and berries.

Taste: Ah! Just, mmm, and ah. Utterly exemplifies all of the elusive qualities of the Belgian pale ale, with plenty of yeast action, just enough fruit and funk, minor hops, more malt, and great consumability.

Yum. That's what I want to say. Hey, did I ever say anything else about his beer?

I wrote this about it back in 2005:
Beautiful dark, plummy brown color, with lush foam above, active carbonation, attractive appearance.

Aroma: sweet, full ,complex, loaded with dark fruits, grapes, cherries, dates, plum, ...eggplant,...a bit of sour and must, an intriguing flavor in this nose, somewhere between sweetness and utter oddity. But I like it.

Taste: huge impact on the palate, big, fat, and delicious, ...more dark fruits swim the mouth, aided and abetted by a mix of spice, very rich, powerful, and juicy. Not as huge in alcohol, while still stronger than most beers, as it's brethren, this is a uniquely tasty, very drinkable effort from the makers of two of the most stunning beers on the planet. (The 8 and 10, of course.)

Very mellow, but far from mild. I admire the unique flavor more as it finds a home in my mouth. Medium bodied, long, fruity finish, very much deliciousness. I'm very happy with this one, and am amazed that this is the first time I've tried it...where have you been all my life? Yum, yum...try this one, please...your happiness is ensured!

2/09/05

(Wait…"eggplant"? what was I thinking?)

No comments: