Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Lagunitas Maximus IPA

Lagunitas Maximus IPA. OG 1.080. Alc. 8.2% by Vol. IBU 72.41

So, the other day I'm staring at the store shelves trying to come up with something I haven't had before, or at least, a beer that hasn't appeared here yet. And I chose this one. I knew for certain I'd reviewed it once before, at least, and guess what? I had. January of 2003. And this is what I wrote:

Big white head, dark orange color. Aroma: fresh, floral, fruity, hoppy. This is self-hyped as highly hopped, hence the boastful name, but on first sip, I'm not overwhelmed. First impression: a more alcoholic extra pale ale, but not the hoppiest of IPAs by a long shot. Smooth palate, medium body, easy-drinking.But overall, a disappointment.

A disappointment, really? Well, yeah, when compared to how they hype it. It's high alcohol, but that 74 IBU isn't all that impressive. It's hoppy, yeah, but they've gotten hoppier, as has everyone, through the years. Here's what I copied off of the bottle. or, rather, the 6-pack carrier, or, more accurately, a combination of the two:


Lagunitas Maximus. IPA. "Some is good. More is better. X-treme everything. Instant gratification is not fast enough.! {sic} We only got an inch of topsoil left. The end is near, don't sip. 42 IBU? Why not more? ….Imelda's Shoes. One war? Why not two! Tats, Nipple Piercing, Cutters, Burning, T1-lines, and Hummers. In our Sensate World…MAXIMUS just makes perfect sense."

What a strange assemblage of words. "Imelda's Shoes"? Talk about a dated reference! Maximus feels like a hold-over from a previous era. Things have gotten much more extreme in the past decade plus, and this beer ought to be retired, or at least renamed.

No comments: