Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Further Tranformations (Yet Another Autobiographical Post)

If you saw my last posting of a beer from Eastlake, you may have noted a lack of enthusiasm about the American adjunct lager called Tall Bike. I couldn't muster up any appropriate energy for that one, and held back on any criticism. I was looking forward to being a big booster of the next new one coming out, especially because the current line-up was weak and I was eager to express some excitement over Belgian strong dark ales and such.

Steel Toe Collision Course Double IPA, at the brewery, April 4. I'm on the hunt for bottles. Hope it's not sold out!
Unfortunately, the brewery whose taproom I have served in from the start, which I waited 2 1/2 months to open, enduring unemployment and staying just above the poverty line, has decided to carry on without me. Not going to go into the details, wouldn't be prudent, na--- ga--- da--- (read that, of course, as Dana Carvey as George Bush.) Fine. Whatever. Moving on. Now the question is will I continue to visit them and drink and review their beers, this time not holding back with my opinions? Maybe. Just maybe. But not until I'm re-employed. Which actually took about 3 days.

So, I'm posting this to inform my readers of this change in my life (I'll tell you where I land later). And just for kicks, here's some beers I've had recently that weren't beer reviews (some were, previously), but I did take their pictures. Cause. Just 'cause. Enjoy. (And these are just the beers I took pictures of, there are plenty that got away. )
Dave's BrewFarm's The Bruiser, at the source, April 12. I enjoyed this so much, I have to finally at last admit that this one should be listed among my all-time favorite beers. Such deliciousness.

Simpson's Scottish Ale, at the Surly taproom, April 26, also enjoyed this past Sunday, May 9. A tasty, bold Scottish style made with a new malt from Simpsons, available only at the brewery. And yet another inadvertent nod to creations of Matt Groening (see also: Bender, Surly (one of the Duff mascots at Duff Gardens), Moe's Bender.)


Also 4/26, the newest edition of Pentagram, which is amazing. I've not enjoyed a beer so fine since  The Bruiser.


April 17, Sisyphus. Imperial Rye.

Fair State Brewing Lactobac: Two Sour Saison,  4/26. Part of the LactoBac series. I need to get back there and have more of this stuff, and talk about these guys more in general. 


May 9. Sisyphus Imperial Stout.




The Winkelman Double  IPA, Fair State, also 4/26.

Town Hall Mango Mama, April 23.

Stay tuned for more, bitter ones.

2 comments:

Jason B said...

I'll add to the Groening/Surly crossover list: FURIOUS D!

http://38.media.tumblr.com/99e9c3ac2a0221a4a7bf18a6bb102f88/tumblr_mue2cjzR741qd4mvdo4_250.png

Al McCarty said...

How could I forget?