Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Lagunitas New Dogtown Pale Ale (with a whiff of the auto-bio thrown in)

So, it's time to reveal the great public at large where one could find me if one tried. After retiring from the bar I ran for 15 1/2 years, spending time as a glorified crossing guard at a neighborhood brewpub, then serving up pints at two different brewery taprooms, once again I am tending bar on the West Bank of south Minneapolis, for my old friends at Acadia Cafe. Once more, live music, making cocktails, but at least my dream of never opening another Heineken continues. And there is some room for advancement, just a little. We'll see.

There are 28 taps at Acadia, and they boast that there are none of them that one could call "crap." There is one devoted to a root beer, and usually one for cider. Within those other 26, they keep consistent with that promise. The chances are good that I'll have some influence in what might go on those taps while I'm there. They certainly respect my opinion and taste in that regard.

And here's a thing: there's usually something I haven't had yet on tap, and I've trying to take notes when I can on those. Not always easy to find the time. They've always had beers on tap here that I haven't reviewed yet, but we've been over this before. Don't like taking notes while at a bar. Not so much.

But, we've got Lagunitas New Dogtown Pale Ale, and I've already taken notes on that one, way back in ....wait, only August of 2010? Well, it was before I started this blog, but...something tells me I should have sampled it earlier than that...nonetheless, here are those nearly half-decade old notes...


Lagunitas New Dogtown Pale Ale.

"Back then the beer tasted like broccoli and kersene and the carbonation ate right through and drained your gut..." ...and so on, and so forth. Really? Good thing that's over!

Very clear, very golden. Lovely to look at, delightful to know. Slim head.

Aroma: Beautiful, floral, lightly citric, ...a touch of honey. Just right.

Taste: Nice, elegant bristling buzzing blast of hops right off the top, keeps zooming along the palate.
Full bodied, continual hop attack, easy drinking hoppy pale ale. Slightly sweet malt base, keeps up with the bitter hop profile that never quite quits. Bready malt meets apple and citrus fruit in the hops, excellent mix, classic pale ale style.

It's a good beer and you can drink it.

No comments: