Thursday, May 21, 2015

Leipziger Gose



You may have noticed that the Gose style has been discovered by the American craft beer world, especially interpretations that make the most of the inherent
sour character. Before today, there were three examples here in
Nib, all of them American-made, two of those local.

At last, I grabbed on to a bottle of the original, and found
my old notes from way back in December of 2003:


My first "gose" ever...didn't even know what one was until I bought this bottle.
Okay, so "gose" it is!
Appearance: cloudy pale orange color, with a thick, creamy white head. Nice, attractive.

Aroma: spicy, yet soft, with whiffs of fresh sea-foam like I'm detected in weizens, big with spice, and citrus, and so far I'm geared up for something like a hefe or a wit.

Taste: unusual! Dry, and mellow, with an initial sourness. Not at all like I was expecting after that nose, way too flat on the palate. Rather light-bodied, cool and mild, with a very soft finish. I think I can actually taste the salt, too, I get the merest taste of salt, without it being too salty.
Very drinkable, this, very, very, although I liked it, but it couldn't love it. I needed more of a kick in the flavor for that.
An intriguing style, rarely encountered, and quite easy to appreciate. If I'm ever in the mood for a mellow, dry brew that won't go and blow my mind, gose it is!

No comments: