Monday, May 4, 2015

New Belgium Slow Ride Session IPA


New Belgium Slow Ride Session IPA, brewed and canned by New Belgium Brewing, Fort Collins, Colorado. Alc. 4.5% by Vol. India Pale Ale. All aluminum please recycle.

Appearance: bright golden coloration, largely clear, lovely white head.

Aroma: everything you want in an IPA. Lemon and lime meet fresh pine flavors. Bold, even aggressive, slightly sweet, and plentifully fruity.

Taste: Bittersweet hop attack up front, followed by little. Bitterness reigns supreme, but there's no bottom here. I can't really rally behind this utter lack of malt. If all you want is hops, and little else, and feel that'll suit you pint after pint, glass after glass, can after can, go for it. I don't get a lot of joy from this one.

It is beer, I can drink it, but it leaves me a little hollow. This session IPA fad, I feel is a bit of a con. Who really likes them? I don't know anyone who does, but someone's drinking them. Do they? Like them, I mean. Do they like only the hop flavor, and nothing else. An excellent ploy, to feed the hop beast, and save on malt costs. Well done, clever breweries, well played.

No comments: