Monday, November 2, 2015

Destihl Clarice Grand Cru

Destihl Oak Foudre Series Clarice Grand Cru. Belgian-style strong dark ale. Aged in oak cognac foudre. Alc. 10% by vol. IBU: 32

Clear and rose-colored, under a slim, but lasting, cream-toned head. Looking great.

The barrel notes comes right out of the nose, getting the cognac and the dark fruit. Rich, malty, vinous, sweet, then sour. Some cherry notes popping up, some berry. Intriguing.

Drinking it: Mmmm. Beautiful. There was a tasty beer in here before, but now it's bursting with the wood and the barrel. Oak is coming through, cognac traces, very fruity, while still staying short of sweet. Something is bringing the funk.

This is damned delicious. It could stand a few years aging, but I couldn't help myself. And to tell you the truth, I don't age beers, I drink them. This one, keep it and see what it does. But, I must warn you, it's a trifle dear. The last time I reviewed some of these 500 ml bottles from Destihl, I was informed of their price by a reader in a comment. I did not pay for that bottle. I did pay for this one. I spent $19 on it knowing full well I'd be happy with it's contents. Purchased at the Normal, IL brewpub.

I actually spent about $19 each on four of their exceptional barrel-aged beers. And another came free. That was the wedding beer. In case you didn't read it here earlier, I am related to this brewery through my older brother's second marriage. His new bride is a founder and their CFO. I will remain objective, but damn, it's a good beer. So there.

I am going to drink one of these Destihl beers a week before they are gone. Because I believe in drinking beers, not watching them grown old.

I will now attempt to read the label: "This special Grand Cru version of Clarice Belgian-style dark ale  has been aged in a French Cognac oak foudre, culminating into a beautiful beer that warmly welcomes you with a deep amber color and cherry-like aroma. It then befriends you with it's rich, fruity, velvety-sweet maltiness, full body and pleasant spiciness, bidding you farewell with flavors imparted by Cognac founder-aging."

This is so smooth, and so good, and it's it's the perfect nightcap before I shove off to bed. Nighty-night.
Here's a peek at some of the barrels aging beers at Destihl. My iPod, which takes terrible pictures anyway, was losing juice, so I got my brother to take some photos for me. He's much better at it. All credit to Wayne McCarty. No credit to either of us to think to turn the camera around and snap a shot of the giant foudres that probably held this beer originally. 

No comments: