Wednesday, November 11, 2015

White Birch Small Batch Ale Son of Ned the Red

White Birch Brewing Small Batch Ale, Hocksett, New Hampshire.

Lightly hazy, bright crimson coloring, slim head.

Sweet and malty in the nose, increasingly and surprisingly rich. More malt here, less, if any, hops. And that's okay.

I'm going to look at the label some, before drinking: Bottled: October 2014, Batch: Son of Ned the Red, Bottle Count: 800, ABV: 6.5%.

It's red and malty, but not that big, alcohol-wise. Taste....mmm, not as full-bodied as I'd like. There's some fruit in the flavor. Just enough bitterness. Sweetness staved off. Good stuff. I like it. Don't love it.

This one was given to me as a sample, and it's the first White Birch beer I've tried. It must be new, for I can't find it on their website. I did see Ned the Red, though. It sounds a lot more interesting than this one.

I'll give these guys another try, of course. This was just the wrong beer to start on.

No comments: