Thursday, November 19, 2015

Destihl St. Dekkera Le Diplomate

Destihl Saint Dekkera Reserve Sour Ale. Le Diplomate. Sour Ambelgo-style double pale ale aged in oak barrels. Batch year 2013. Alc. 7.3% by Vol. Brewed and bottled by Destihl Brewery, Bloomington, IL.

Clear, light amber coloring, intense carbonation, with a slight, but staying ivory head.

Aroma: sour from the start, nothing but straight-up funk. Oak barrel conquers all. Nothing else climbs up to say anything else.

Tasting it: Funk and sour kicks it off again, with a bit of hops peeking through. Texture becomes increasingly intriguing, deliciousness begins to show up on the palate. I feel a double pale ale peeping out, but “Ambelgo-style”? That’s a new term for me. But I think I understand what they’re getting at. I’d love to try that beer before they oaked it and funked it. I’ve got an idea of what it was like, but the end product here is all about the wild and the oak.

And you know what? There ain’t nothing wrong with that.  It’s a great beer, and I’m drinking it. (Warning: this is most likely only available in Illinois. I bought this at the brewpub in Normal, IL, paid $19 for it.)

No comments: