Thursday, November 12, 2015

Oliphant Mary Porter & "What's The Deal With That?" Rye Whiskey Barrel Aged Graer Bear Baltic Porter

I got this growler back in September, and have been sitting on it for nearly two months. Why not just drink it, already? I will. I don't remember this being the name on the chalkboard, but that's what it says on the label wrapped around the cap. Rye barrel aged baltic porter, here we come...

8.5% Alc. by Vol.

Rich brown coloring, dark and inviting, lush, creamy light brown head.

Aroma is caramel, toffee and whiskey. Cocoa and vanilla. Sweet, hot, deep and fiery. Nice.

Mmmm. The whiskey is dripping all over the place. Smacks the palate up, slips in and takes it over. Richly malty, with flavors of vanilla, cherry, cocoa, toffee, and more. Delicious. Damned delicious. Nice and thick and rich and rewarding.

Here's the thing, though. Good as this is, I like the original better. And I've never brought it home in a growler and written about it. Just enjoyed it at the taproom, but choosing other beers to bring to Minnesota with me. I have got to fix that, haven't I?

Barrel-aging is great, and all, but sometimes the extra additives cover up what's really golden beneath. I drink this enjoying the whiskey barrel effects, but keep wanting the tastes that are hidden.

No comments: