Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Barley John's Brewing Company Boggan Brew Winter Ale

I bought a growler of this at the brewery a week ago, and can't find information about it anywhere. Not on their website, not on ratrbeer.com, not on beeradvocate.com, not on untapped....oh, wait, there it is! Way to go, untapped! So, now I know that it's 8.5% ABV and 50 IBUs. I ordered it after a few pints at the bar, with Joe and Liz, and told the bartender to let John know I said Hi, and he said, tell him yourself, he's in the brewery. Nice visit, though we didn't get a tour. They were busy, though.

So, this is my first Barley John's Brewing beer brewed for the New Richmond, Wisconsin Brewing Company first, not originated in New Brighton, MN.

Dark burgundy coloring, slim head, settling into a tight ring.

Aroma: there's the wintry spices. Nutmeg, clove. Ginger. Deep maltiness, sweetness cut by just enough hop bitterness.

In the mouth: Spices grab hold first and foremost. Hop bitterness catches up quickly. Juicy malt holds down the fort. Spices getting sweet, and just a touch hot. Ginger comes through over all, and I'm liking it. Steer clear if you're not into it.

Rich and malty, warming, toffee-sweet, but strong on the spice. That doesn't bother me, so I'm into this one.

Here's how John describes it: My hearty winter ale has warm malt flavors and a spicy hop finish. It's the perfect robust brew to take the chill out of winter. Here we gnome a-wassailing! Enjoy! - Barley John

No comments: