Saturday, December 12, 2015

Bauhaus Tallander Scottish Style Dark Ale

The sample man came, hooray, hooray! Hooray for the sample man, and the beer he brought, this time a Bauhaus beer that hasn't been released yet. (Maybe it helped that I complained that I didn't get a free sample of the last release, although I did find a bottle at a local shop. But, who wants to buy stuff? )

Once released from the can, it casts a reddish brown tint, with a slim, lacey beige head.

Malt-forward, earthy aromatics. Mild espresso and anise notes, more along the lines of toffee and such. Nice.

In the mouth: very filling and malt-driven. Rich and just slightly sweet. Caramel and toffee coats the palate, with hints of chocolate, bitter and sweet coming in afterward. Long, malty finish. Delicious. Man, I can drink this one, all 16 ounces. I'll surely be drinking more through the winter.

Hey, what's the gobbledygook? "Stronger than Scottish export ale but not quite a Wee Heavy, Tallander stands alone amidst an age-old battle between immortals. With a deliciously rich maltiness, and just enough hops to provide the perfect balance, you might think we've brewed a kind of magic. That's okay with us--just don't lose your head about it." I'm missing something there, but I've never seen "Highlander."

6.0% ABV. 25 IBU.

No comments: