Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery Heather Ale

Brought home this growler last night. Turns out that I first reviewed in back in November of 2004. Hence, notes from thence commence:

After 2 pints enjoyed with meal of sauteed vegetables, mashed potatoes and elk, I now review this tasty ale via growler...

Clear and crimson in color, with thin white foam, slipping soon away.

Aroma is sweetness itself, floral and fruity, herbal, bright and happy.

Smooth entry on the palate, then the taste is laregly herbal, mineral, vegetal, with a rosy, bright dark fruit character. Body is on the light side, though the flavor resounds, and the finish is too swift.
I had to contrast this with memories of the last time I tried Fraoch Heather Ale, and it lacks a certain depth and complexity, but they share in common that they are both sweet and beautiful brews. Malty, and tasty, with an astounding ease of drinkability, and I sure appreciate the historic brews and this pub's efforts to re-create them, but, you know it...I'm missing the hops!

Didn't catch the abv, but it feels small.
(4.9% ABV, I've learned.)

Cheers to Mr. Hoops for trying out this unique style.

No comments: