Saturday, December 19, 2015

Odell Friek

Odell Friek, ale with cherries and raspberries, aged in oak barrels. Alc. by Vol. 6.9% ABV. Odell Brewing, Fort Collins, Colorado.

This is one I'm really late on, I admit it. But the plain and simple reason is that when I see the $17 price tag, no matter how appealing it sounds or how much I love the brewery, I back away. With very few exceptions. Well, I finally decided to take the plunge. What's the worst that could happen? Let's jump on in and drink this one.

Bright ruby red coloring, slim, soon-gone head.

Aroma: fruity and funk. Raspberries are first in the nose, sweet cherries come up from behind. Hints of oak barrel coming through.

Tasting it: Boom! Wildness starts it off, barrel aging adds the oak. Tastes exactly like it is: a blend of framboise and kriek lambics, or if not "lambics", the closest we can get without being in Belgium. It's bright, fresh, ending on a dry note, and exceptionally refreshing.

Great stuff, done well, just as I knew Odell would do. At that price, I wouldn't return to it too often, but if you can spend the cash, do.

No comments: