Sunday, December 27, 2015

Epic Brewing Big Bad Baptist Imperial Stout

I'm late on this one, too. It's been available in the Minnesota market for years, and I've never picked up a bottle and actually brought it up to the checkout counter. And I like to try all the Imperial Stouts. Why did it take me so long? There is no reason. Let's drink the thing.

Epic Brewing Big Bad Baptist Imperial Stout. Stout with cocoa nibs and coffee added and aged in whiskey barrels. 11.9 % Alc./Vol.
Epic Brewing, Salt Lake City, Utah and Denver, Colorado.

Utter blackness, with a tight, cocoa-tinged ring around it.

In the nose: bitter, sweet, revealing chocolate, espresso, more. Earthy, lush, and deep.

In the mouth: Big sweetness, followed by some bitter. Increasing heat, then some mellow malt. Vanilla beans bump up in the flavor, then oak. Rich and irresistible. Dark, mysterious, and full of deep pleasures.
does this say release #55 or #65? I can't read it!

That was the end of my notes, before the Sandman called me to sleep. I didn't finish the contents of the bottle, but I think I got it. That's what it was, that's what it is, good beer, go drink it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Which batch? There are huge variations.