Monday, December 28, 2015

Bent Brewstillery Brother Vesper Strong Dark Belgian Stout Aged on Toasted White Ash

Bent Brewstillery Brother Vesper strong dark belgian stout aged on toasted white ash. So says the label. Alec. 9 % by vol. IBU 20.

Fully opaque, definitely dark coloration, with a slim and soon-gone head.

Aroma spills out some sweetness, some cocoa, maybe, a little ...hmmm, not much else. Earthy, malty tones. Some grit, some spice.

Now, to drink: In the mouth, sweetness and bitterness, lots of malt, and....medium body....slight fruitiness. Good balance. A little bit of raisin in there, a little bit of coffee, but ...not much more. I'm not entirely impressed. I want to be. But it's just not working. There's nothing special, there's no joy.

I love beers like this, or like this is supposed to be, and I really want this to be one that I like. It isn't. Eh. Life goes on....

from the label: "Brother Vesper sips his daily ration. Flavors and aromas of plum, brandy, jammy wine and cordial cherries, wood, spice, plus a gentle alcohol tug. Strong? Dark? Stout? Quadruple? Ant? Can I get a beer-blessed hell yes!"

not from me, sorry.

No comments: