Thursday, November 12, 2020

Perennial Distant Land Saison

Perennial Distant Land Saison.


6.2 % ABV. Belgian-style ale with brettanomyces. Perennial Artisan Ales, St. Louis, MO. 

I used to think that maybe, possibly, I could drink all the beers. That possibility dwindled away many years ago. There are too many beers to drink them all. I can only hope to drink the best, as much as I can, to suit my taste, as well. 

Before opening this bottle, I looked on the other Perennial postings here in the Nib. One bottle purchased in Chicago-land, seven years ago. Next, five years ago, a bottle bought locally once they'd begun to distribute here, with this at the end of the post: "This is the first Perennial brew I've purchased locally. There's no reason why I should stop here. Drink 'em up, people." Six months later, another, with the next review being four years later, a sample can from a distributor rep. And then, nothing, until now. 

I hate it when I lie to you guys like that. I basically promised that I would keep sampling this brewery's wares, and then I dropped the ball. Why? Was I shopping in the wrong stores? Was I passing them over for something hotter, sexier, fresher? So many questions. 

One thing I know for sure is this: I need to stop complaining about the trends in beer that I dislike, and shine a spotlight on the good stuff going on, like the works of breweries like this one. 

So, let's drink it. 

Lightly hazed, vibrant gold coloration, large, lace-leaving head, looking absolutely gorgeous. 

In the nose: classic farmhouse funk. Horse-blankety. Slightly tart, utterly wild. Definitely touched by Brett.

In the mouth: Bright and zesty. Smooth, citrusy, medium-bodied, easy-drinking. Smacks of fruit for a bit, spice for a bit longer, then turns dry on a dime. Delicious and refreshing. Delightful touch of Brett on the palate. 

I'm enjoying this one quite a bit. Yum, as I've said, before, a dum dum. 

 Belgian Saison brewed with Flaked Oats and fermented with our house saison strain, then package conditioned naturally with Brettanomyces claussenii.

A late hop addition of Mosaic lend to the tropical flavors produced by the B. claussenii. Distant Land is an ode to the melding of classic Belgian beers, with new American brewing techniques. Lightly hoppy, lightly funky to help get us through the long nights of Winter.

No comments: