Monday, November 2, 2020

New Belgium Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA

New Belgium Voodoo Ranger Imperial IPA.


How long has this beer been around? (Answer: nearly four years.) Why haven't I tried it before? Were my distributor and brewery reps recalcitrant in providing samples? Certainly. And now, they have no need to give them to me, at least not in my current circumstance. Yes, many of my New Belgium reviews for the past several years had been from samples, and now I have to pay for everything. So, I bought a single 19.2 oz. can for sale at the retail store where I work, and now it's time to check it out. 

9% ABV. 70 IBU. New Belgium Brewing, Fort Collins, CO. 

Clear, bright golden hue, large and lasting ivory head. Looking great. 

In the nose: A delightfully dank and expressive hop stew in the aromatics, citrus and tropical fruit notes abound. Sweet switches sides with bitter, time and again. 

In the mouth: Impressively powerful and potent from sip one. Not a shy one in the least, this starts off as a mess, immensely bitter, fruity, juicy, and malty components that add up to a monster. Orange, tangerine, lime, mango, dancing with the high alcohol, a massive mix, pounding the palate, flooding the senses. Bitter orange peel, candied apricots. A lot of flavors here. High hop bitterness, medium body, long hoppy finish. 

An unsubtle beast. But as a dedicated hophead, I like it. I like big, burly unbalanced IPAs, ever now and then. They're okay by me. Certainly doesn't rise up to the ranks of the rarified double IPAs, but I don't mind it one bit. 

A rare blend of choice hops creates an explosion of fresh-cut pine and citrus flavors for a complex, rich and delicious flavor.


No comments: