Wednesday, November 18, 2020

La Trappe Trappist Tripel

La Trappe Trappist Tripel. 


8 % ABV, 24 IBU. Bierbrouwerij de Koningshoeven, Noord-Brabant, the Netherlands. 

This sort of thing just keeps happening. I check out my reviews on this blog about a particular brewery, and am shocked--shocked, I say!--that one of their offerings has slipped past my attention and never made it here on the Nib. Yes, that has happened with the Tripel from La Trappe. Have I not had it in over 10 years? A crime! (Looking back at old posts, Dubbel and Quadrpel appeared here when I had it on tap at the Blue Nile. The backbier showed up when it was on tap at Acadia Cafe. Others were bottles purchased at stores. And none was the tripel. Still can't believe this one got past me.)

Well, let's make up for that right away. Luckily, there was exactly one bottle on the shelves at the store where I currently work, and I bought that and now I will drink it, and write fresh notes. 

Lightly hazed, bright golden/amber hue, slim white-ish head. 

In the nose: Sweet and mysterious. Honey, peach, apricot, slice of citrus, with the twist of Belgian yeast adding a level of funk and barnyard. Ripe fruit, candy, and a touch of the wild. 

In the mouth: Slight kiss of the hops to kick it off, just enough bitter for balance. Citrus peel, stone fruit, a touch of honey. Lean bodied, and despite the high ABV, excellently easily drinkable. A joy to consume, hits all the right notes, all the way down the throat. Classic rendition of this style. And flat out delicious, let us not forget. 

Here's what they say: A golden blonde Trappist ale with a white head. Fruity aromas of peach and apricot combined with a floral aroma. La Trappe Tripel is a classic Trappist ale with a powerful and full flavour. In addition, this ale has a candy-sweet and light malty character. The aftertaste is bitter and slightly dry.

Now, just for kicks, a look at old notes, retrieved from BeerAdvocate.com, published there in March of 2003: A vintage 11.2 oz. bottle, exact year unknown. This is my first tasting of an aged beer, but I didn't do the aging, it was a gift from the distributor's sales rep. "Six or seven years old," he said, "Original recipe, with the x's on it, we were just storing it in the office, and it's probably reached it's peak. Had the dubbel last night, nice and chocolately." So why give it to me? Is he gunning for the title of Coolest Sales Rep Ever?

There's actually a "best by" stamp, but it's hard to read. "08:46 02 04"? Does it have another 10 months to go? I certainly don't care, I'm drinking it now!

Color: murky, peachy orange, with a few brown flecks nestled at the bottle of the glass. Head is white, ample, but short-lived.

Aroma feels arcane and hoary, like something from seven centuries ago, not seven years. Deep with citrus and spice, but mellowed, too. I almost don't want to drink it, and would keep this mysterious and lovely smell in my nose as long as it can last! Most akin to orange candy, glittered with spice.

Taste? Delirious, and a trifle devastating. ABV is kicking a little from the start, but the light, but complex flavor is a bit overwhelming. Hops are in charge, and fandango along the tongue for a turn or two, never really quitting the spotlight. A certain tartness soon overtakes at the end, while sugar and spice continue to cameo. 

Sadly, at the very end, my initial excitement has worn off, as has the brew's complexities. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, and the flavors have died down quite a bit. No doubt, my friend was right, and this bottle is in it's final stages. In my last few swallows, a little extra something reaches the back of the mouth. Is it the yeast? I pour the entire contents of the bottle in, and down it all...fuller, darker, boozier, an excellent end.

That was nice. But not earth-shattering. Maybe that other vintage bottle, the dubbel, will be different?

...

and now, enjoy my take on the relabeled Koningshoven Tripel, from 12 of 02:


Let's see about this...they're no longer "La Trappe", yet they still call it a Trappist on the label. I'm still not sure what's up with this.

Appearance: lovely amber/ orange color, with a generous, buzzing, bubbly head. Aroma: sweet as can be, fantastically sugary. Orange, honey, sweet fruits, (peach, apricot, melon) and more in the nose. Not too sugary, though, rather mellow, actually. 

Medium body, with a profusion of hops to delight the tongue. Light carbonation. Lacks in complexity, though.

So, how does it compare to it's predecessor, La Trappe Tripel?

Wouldn't you know it, someone gave me an 8 year old bottle, the original stuff! ...darker color, some brown spots on the foam, aroma more pungent and sour, as well as sweet, and a vast cornucopia of fruits, more citrus and grape, cherries and berries...hops are huger, chocolate flavors show up!...alcohol stronger... more more than your average tripel..let's hear it for cellaring!

Though it's not fair to compare with an aged sample, this newer version does not compare to what I remember from fresher versions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't really want to be anonymous, but my Google account is ancient.

I am one of your admirers

Love your blog

Love your writing

Very happy that you work at my local liquor store