Wednesday, November 11, 2020

't Smisje Catherine the Great Russian Imperial Stout

 't Smisje Catherine the Great Russian Imperial Stout.

10 % ABV. Brouwerij Smisje, Vlaanderen, Belgium. 


And here we have the second appearance of the Brouwerij Smisje of Belgium in the Nib, following Great Reserva, back in 2012, which was the cognac barrel aged version. (According to BeerAdvocate, I've had 12 of their beers. Wonder if I'll ever see them again?) I bought this one at the retail store that I am currently working at. I have no idea how long it was on the shelves, but it is an older label than the one currently used, with the illustration of the horse, just Kate in this one, utterly horseless. How long did it sit there, waiting for me to rescue it? Should still be good, right? 

But, I'm going to look back on old notes, though, taken in January, 2009: 

Dusky garnet hue, cocoa toned head...creamy..

Beautiful nose, tart, yet sweet, bursting with ripe fruit, getting increasingly sour...pungent and potent.

Caramel delights on the tongue, meet rich, bountiful fruit, cherry, grape, and berry, with a cocoa twinge. Smooth, lightly tart, not too fruity, ...getting closer to chocolate, but not quite. 

Also, expecting a Belgian twist on an Imperial Stout, not too dark, or thick. But that's what makes this unique. Taste something like other Belgian stouts I've had, and yet unlike them, as well. Wine-like flavor, yeasty, and lively...great texture, lively play on the palate. I'm enjoying this more as I drink it. Liking this, liking this. 

If Belgium never makes a thick, chewy, chunky chocolatey RIS, and only makes tasty, fruity, complex brews like this...I'm fine with that.

So, that's what I thought about it 11 years ago, nearly twelve, actually. What about this one? 

It's the same beer. Still holds flavor, but something feels a little off. But, just a little. A touch thinner. But containing plenty of character. No head, though. Definitely past it's prime. This was this last bottle on the shelf, inexplicably ignored for, I don't know, years and years. It was only $6, why was it passed over? Because it looked too old, probably? Because no one knows what it is, since they can't read the label? 

There a whole lot of questions I'm challenged with at this new job. 

No comments: