Monday, May 23, 2022

Surly Lucuna Cold IPA

 Surly Lucuna Cold IPA. Cold India Pale Ale. Crisp/ Hoppy/ Cold.


7.2% ABV. Surly Brewing, Minneapolis & Brooklyn Center, Mn. 

The Cold IPAs keep on coming. Here’s one from Surly. 

Clear, pale yellow color, small white head.

In the nose: soft and citric. Lemon and lime. 

In the mouth: minor bitterness. Brisk citrus flavors. Light bodied. Easily consumed. Refreshing and hoppy...I guess. I remain unmoved by this new style. It’s not an improvement on IPA, not where I stand. They use adjuncts to create the color, and lighten the body, but I don’t think that makes for a better IPA. 

I have yet to find one that I really like. I just might not be the right audience for this. 

Bridging the divide between a lager’s crispness and an IPA’s hop kick, Lacuna Cold IPA delivers the best of both worlds. Mind the gap.

No comments: