Friday, February 25, 2011

Boulder Obovoid Oak-Aged Oatmeal Stout


So, it looks like I took 3 days and nights off from posting, and it's true, but not from drinking great beer.
Tuesday, I covered the bar for a sick bartender, and when I was finally relieved it was off to Town Hall for the only night of Barrel-aged Week that I thought I would get to visit. Honey V was on, a honey wine barrel aged Belgian-style abbey tripel. Got a ($25!) growler of that, and I'll probably open it and write about it tomorrow night. Stopped by Acadia on my way home to find that they were doing a special on Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout, for $4 a 12 ounce pour. That price is insanely low, so, naturally I had to have three of them. That was enough for my evening.
Wednesday, I stopped at Harriet Brewing for some West-Side growlers and to drop off some jazz records for Jason. "A Love Supreme" will sound great played loud in the brewery! Of course, I didn't anticipate a possible dilemna. That comes up later. Off to Bryant-Lake Bowl to play sardine for a while at their Surly 5th Anniversary Party. Mole Smoke, Moe's Bender, Abrasive Ale, Cherry-wood Aged Abrasive Ale, and of course, at least 2 servings of Pentagram. It was there that I told Todd the bottle illustration should be Baphomet (he corrected my pronunciation) holding a malt shovel and a glass of beer. Told me he was getting that (or just the goat-headed idol?) as a tattoo on his cat. That is to say, calf. Now I'll always think of him getting a tattoo of a demon on his cat.
Dean and Rita gave me a ride home, with first a stop at Town Hall for some Wee Jack, the Scottish Wee Heavy in Jack Daniels barrels. Back home, where I foolishly opened a growler of Masala Mama for a pint before slumber. It was later that I realized my mistake.
I fully intend to visit Harriet tomorrow for their first sale of Dark Abbey growlers, but I had no empties, only two full ones. Do I want to get fills, without empties? And if I don't, I have two days to empty them. But it I do, that opened growler of Mama might go bad? So, my solution is this. I had the West Side growler after getting home from work (around 4 am!), while watching some missed episodes of the Daily Show and The Colbert Report. Thought about also tackling one of the ten beers in the fridge I haven't covered yet, wisely declined and off to sleep. So, I finish the Mama tonight, (leaving early today, before midnight!) and I'll pick up one growler of the Dark Abbey. I'm sure there will be some left for later purchase, but there will be plenty of beer to enjoy after Sunday's fun day, another visit to Dave's BrewFarm, if all goes well.

And that is why I didn't touch any other new brews, or do any new posts. My original goal of doing one a day has been supplanted by as many posts as there are days in the month. So, we've got that covered. And why should I worry, really, I've no one to disappoint but myself.

And today's...Boulder Obovoid, 8% abv, oak-aged oatmeal stout, from a keg filled in October 2009, tapped at the Blue Nile in October 2010, taken off after StoutFest 2010, now back on til it runs out, tasting great, not any worse for the wear. And the notes are from from first taste of a bottle, January 2008. Now that that's out of the way...

"Very black, with cocoa-tan head...nice lookin'...

Rich and roasty nose, loads of espresso & cream, bittersweet, with caramel & chocolate hints, too...

Creamy, chocolatey flavor, yum...Cadbury's chocolate easter egg, that's it! That's where the name comes from...LoL!
Milk chocolate. Delish! Fullish bodied, moderate length finish, and altogether pleasing....sweetish taste, but good texture, fine and easy drinking....and loads of smooth, reassuring oatmeal. A big, burly oatmeal stout. And at an abv reaching up towards an RIS. Love it, personally.
This one's right up my alley. Good stuff."

No comments: