Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Delirium Nocturnum


Number 3 in this Belg-a-Rama series,and much like Delirium Noel, it's one I've wanted to revisit, due to the over-exhuberance of my old review. I won't waste your time with that one. Forget it exists. Maybe I'll delete it.

Here are my current notes, written now, from the tap:

Lush creamy head, meringue-like, banana cream pie, with dark reddish coloration in the body, clear at the edges, fully dark in the middle.

Aroma: sweet and spicy, dark fruits aplenty, very vinous, quite wine-like. Bright and deep at once. Cherries, berries, grapes, sweet malt, utterly lovely. Beautiful.

Taste: Big malty flavor, great tingling on the tongue, tidy hop delivery, just enough, with fruity flavors, matched with lightly roasty malt. Raisins, plums, dark cherries, blackberries. Mmmm. Good balance of sweet malt and bitter hops, with nice spiciness ripping along the palate.

Nearly resembles a dubbel, without the complexity I'd expect from that style. Spice, sweet and sour, light bitterness, good drinkability, despite the 9%, which will start ringing in, in full force very soon, if I don't watch out.

Such a nice Belgian dark ale. Not the "best in the world", mind you, but tasty and satisfying.

No comments: