Monday, February 21, 2011

St. Bernardus Prior 8


The story remains the same. Another beer that was elusive to me, until I began trading, and now, it is somewhat commonplace, and, yet, not nearly commonplace enough. Got it in a sampler pack, and the reason for my purchase of this quartet of excellent Belgian ales, is earnestly and honestly because, not merely because I honestly and fervently support these brews, but that it was a sampler pack, with an altogether new St. Bernardus glass inside. I have a large goblet, and i have a smaller chalice-style- colored glass, but this one seems to bridge the two and I had to have it!

So, here, my thoughts from my first tasting, June of 2004 was when I first acquired a bottle, and we go...

"750ml bottle, which uncorked with great enthusiasm on untwisting the wire cage, with utterly no assistance, spilling ale everywhere..
.
Dark mahogany brown color, full, fervent foam, a bit beigey in color, slowly simmering down.

Aroma, spice, nuts, fruit, faint cocoa, more spice, cinnamon, clove, very carbonated, very enticing, uplifting, arousing, even...a lovely snootful, me likey.

Very lively, zesty taste, the mouth swims with this pruney, raisiny, vibrant flavor...I'm liking it more as it nestles in the crevices of my tastebuds.
Bursts afresh on the tongue again and again. Full-bodied, long, warm, lovely finish.

Goodness aplenty in this bottle. A keeper if ever there was."

And I feel the same way now, and glad that I can have it any time, and not worry no way.

No comments: