Friday, February 18, 2011

Duchesse de Bourgogne Flanders Red Ale


April, 2005 was when I first sat down to transcribe my experiences with this very popular Flanders Red from Brouwerij Verhaeghe. Last night was my most recent experience consuming one, from the tap. (Belg-a-Rama #4, beer 5, and, yes, this may be the first one that contains no beer I've never had.) I share with you now those nearly 6 year old notes.


Sits in the snifter a a clear, deep ruby hue, nearing on brown, with a toasty, fizzy head holding down the fort.
Spicy aroma, and plenty sour, replete with associations of dark fruit, grapes, dates, blackberries, and a twisted hint of licorice. Wicked mix in this nose. I like it.
Oooo, puckeration! Mega-hit of sour on first sip! Backwash of sweetness, cherries and plums, but the tart stays on top. Next sip: Ooooweee, it's at it again! Molasses-like, and treacly in the taste, thinning out by the time the flavor leaves the palate and I'm ready for another swallow...ooo, quit doing that!
Around this time, the intense tartness mellows a bit, and the brew plays a little lighter in the mouth. Sweetness glides arm in arm with sour, and they play a tight ping pong match.
body is medium, lightly fruity, long-lived finish. Tasty thing, despite the challenges that must be met in approaching the brew. I'm going to relax with the remainder.

Oddly, it seems like I'm a novice at reds and sours, although I'd been drinking them off an on for many years.

No comments: