Sunday, February 20, 2011

De Dolle Stille Nacht


I had to do a lot of trading in those bleak years when I knew what great Belgian ales I wanted, but couldn't find them locally. A trading partner in Florida sent me one of these back in July 2003. And I can't believe I could still find some at Zipp's in February. Is there a large lack of knowledge about how delicious this 12 % a.b.v. seasonal Belgian barleywine is? Ah, well, more for me, I guess.
Here are those notes for nearly 8 years ago:

"Hazy golden orange color, large and lasting head, solid, but creamy.
I put my nose in this soft, enticing foam and was exulted: fresh, fruity, dazzling, sugary...I'm thinking "tripel" but I know that there's more in store...slightly spicy, light, elegant, ethereal, divine.
Taste has a zing and a zip and dazzles with intense fruit flavors (orange, peach), so rich, juicy, and tangible that I can nearly taste the pit and the seeds!
I'm put into heaven here...it's simply sublime...malt is huge with sweetness and fruit, perhaps too much so, and there's not a nod from Mr. Hops. A pity for that would have provided sufficient balance and given an extra dimension to this ale.
As it is, it's still amazing. Ah, there's nowhere to go from here...a perfect nightcap... a suffficient summation of goodness in a glass.

No comments: