Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Southern Tier Iniquity Imperial Black Ale


Despite what I said earlier in the Stone/BrewDog review, I don't really hate black IPAs, Cascadian Darks, whatever they're called. There's a few that are alright with me, especially if the citrus hop character is downplayed, such as in the first one I ever had, Southern Tier's Iniquity. Good ol' Jordan gave me a gift of one the other day, what a heck of a guy he is, and I threw it down my gullet with affable aplomb just last night. These are my notes from when I first tapped it, June, 2009:


Yep, it's black, all right, thoroughly opaque, nothing but nothing but darkness, and a cream-toned, tanned head atop. Looking good.

Aroma is fresh and lively, pine and citrus at play, but matched with dark malt, a bit of chocolate and caramel. Odd, but true.

In the taste, it's utterly indescribably delicious. Tasty dark malt, chocolate and toffee, met with a blast of hops. What is this? India black ale. Damn, but it's good, though.

With each sip and gulp, I wonder if I'm downing a porter or stout, but the brash hoppy twist takes it to another level, and we have to reckon with that. Still, despite the confusion, it's nothing besides delicious. Really.

So unique, so unusual, so really delicious. The best of malt, the best of hops. Damn, what is up with these guys...? Just keep making the great beer, Southern Tier!

1 comment:

Madeline said...

grand tenton trout hop black ipa was amazing. much more pine flavor than citrus from the hops. if you haven't, you should try it!