Sunday, February 20, 2011

La Chouffe Houblon Dobbellen IPA Tripel


#6 in this round of Belg-a-Rama. Let's peek at my notes from May, 2006, from a bottle.
Off comes the crown, and out wafts sour citrus and pine, plus prickly spices. Haven't even poured it, though.

Thickly hazed, pale gold coloration, huge head, a fluffy slab of angelfood cake, leaving loads of lace. Poured just right, it features a beautiful cap emerging from the glass, like a dish of ice cream.

In the nose: ah, this is a saison! I mean, a tripel! No, wait a Belgian double IPA, right?...what is it, now?
It's zesty, lemony, sour and spicy, yeasty, funky, deep, delectable. An enticing, entrancing blend of flavor, every bit Belgian.

I'm still only smelling. The label refers to "the overwhelming aroma of Tomahawk, Amarillo, & Saaz hops..." Well put.

Taste it: Bracingly bitter entry on the palate, then kindly backing away.Sip again, and a mix of fruit and spice blasts through the palate anew, then gently subsides on the tongue. Definitely drinkable, despite the uniqueness of the flavor, or the size of the strength. Full bodied, for a tripel, but rather easy in the mouth.

This ale hangs tight on the palate, sticking it out, giving a kick every inch of the way, but downable and delicious. I'm liking it, and I think I'll like it again and again. But then again, I've never met a Chouffe I didn't like.

No comments: