Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Deschutes The Abyss


That Iniquity wasn't enough of a nightcap last night, so I felt it was time to crack open the one and only bottle of The Abyss I've been sitting on. This year's "vintage"...I'm terrible at cellaring. It's a wonder I've been able to hang on to my 2007 Darkness. I see the beers, and I want to drink them, not save them in a closet.
So, here are my notes from the first time I ever had an Abyss, procured through trade, for Deschutes has only been available here since last summer. (I was lucky enough to get a keg, but may not tap it for many weeks away.)

"Dense blackness, dark as you get...huge head, burnt tan, slowly crumbling, leaving lace...

Roasty, toasty aroma, chocolate and espresso, yes, and more...carob and raisins, dark rum, and molasses...ah! Dark and lovely!

Whoa! Once in the mouth, it's a delivery of rich, thick, deliciousness....whiskey-toned, a bit, mixed with dark chocolate...indulgent, decadent...full, but surprisingly smooth. Velvety...someone should paint a portrait of Elvis on this. Here comes the whiskey kick again...here comes the blackstrap...

I'm only halfway through the bottle, and I'm feeling mighty satisfied.
Do I wish I'd saved it for friends? Maybe, but I'm too content to worry about them now.

As the great Maple Syrup (David Cross on "Mr. Show") would say" "it's wonderfulrissimal!"

I do wish that one-off David Cross character had taken off, and his catch-phrase had become commonplace, so I wouldn't have to explain it. If only "wonderfulryssimal" were another "more cowbell" or, I don't know, "for me to poop on!"

No comments: