Wednesday, February 16, 2011

De Dolle Oerbier Special Reserva 2009


When I grabbed this one at Zipp's, the clerk wondered if it was really $9.50 a bottle, or was that some crazy mistake. I assured her that the price may be high, but it's worth every cent. Finally, busted it open last night, and didn't take notes. Instead, I'll share what I wrote in August 2008, about the Reserva 2006. What a wonderful beer...

"De Dolle Oerbier Special Reserva 2006, ...consumed in 2008...by me...

"I ain't crazy. I just don't give a darn"...Daffy Duck

Hazed, deep purple to brown coloration, good head, soon to nil...a creamy tan...

Gorgeous aromatics...barleywine meets Belgian strong...plums, raisins, peppers and spices...cognac meets whiskey, dark rum, with more of the sharp to match the sweet. Big alcoholic content ( 13%? Yes!) isn't hiding. Rich malt, funky yeast, flavor out the hay, nonny, hey.

Bam, bam, bam...Good God! An explosion of grape and berry in the mouth, met well with all the best a beer can bring. Sharp and tangy, bright alcohol, with warm flavor. Spanks you on first sip, floods the mouth with flavor, warms every crevice, tantalizes the palate, ...this would be magnificent with food, but tonight, I'm just drinking. Next time, next time...cheese, sausage, rich meats and pasta...?

One of the best, and most wine-like quadrupels I've ever had. Ingenious. I need a case of this to hold me for a decade. Who am I kidding, I'd drink it in a week!"

No comments: