Sunday, October 23, 2011

Darkness Madness Part Four

Here's the cover of this year's program. I wish I'd saved them all from year's past, but if you know me at all, you know I have a problem with stuff. Some would call me a packrat, others a hoarder. So, it's a small victory if I don't hang on to a scrap of paper for years. Each year they get more advanced in design and concept, this year they followed the label art and went with the zombie attack idea. However, Surly fans being likened to zombies isn't a tactic I'm espcially keen on, though I know it's all in good fun. Similar, and worse, things have been said about our rabid nature.

We're inside the event, the parking lot turned into  a party grounds. Looking back at the brewery gates, flung wide open. Tents out on the street sell merchandise, and food trucks vend mini donuts and all manner of meals. I do regret not shooting pics of the beer tents, and my volunteer friends handing me cups of deliciousness.

This one needs explanation, and I have none for you. Perhaps I should have asked the ladies why they were decked out as pirates. But, you know me, Mr. Shy Guy. I recall one previous year when Darkness Day happened the same weekend as a Big Lebowski convention, and attendees included Walters and Dudes.

Another one that cries out for an answer. Is this volunteer posing for me with this gesture, or am I just randomly catching him doing that while looking straight at me? Or is that his job, to do the Ronnie James Dio devil symbol in the middle of the event? Someone has to, after all. 


Now here's Cory, either biting his nails, or talking on his cell phone. Behind him, the line going into the brewery to buy bottles.

The last photo before I stopped taking picture is of Surly employee #3 Sarah,  here back to the music stage, not paying any attention to the rock, which seems so unlike her. Her band, God Came From Space, played first, and actually they were at the first Darkness Day. And this marks when it became amusing again to take pictures of people taking pictures.
And so ends another Darkness Day. Eight bottles of Russian Imperial Stout wait me at home, some for trading, some for saving. Though I do plan to open a bottle, along with the previous 4 next Sunday, with 6 lucky friends. This is something I've been waiting to do for some time. Stay tuned for a full report.

No comments: