Sunday, October 16, 2011

Lindemans Cuvee Rene Gueuze lambic

Along with the Hanssens, I picked up another gueuze recently, unsure of whether I'd had this one before. Of course I had, back in June of 2005. And it's another great one. Here's what I wrote then, and Lindemans Cuvee Rene:

My first time with this beer, scared away through the years by the higher price tag. Well, I've plenty more expensive beers since, so there's no excuse for putting it off. Here we go! 

Pale peach hue, flush carbonation, rushing up the glass, with a sturdy, off-white head...a very appetizing glass of brew. 

Aroma, sour and citric, a little spicy, super funky, that unique smell that only comes out of a gueuze. 

Taste, oooh! Puckering, then lip-smacking, sour bite at first, then all is mellow...big lemon rides through the flavor, with yeast character right behind. 
Interesting. Tartness is king in this, dominates the feel, but in a gentle, delicious way. Very sophisticated stuff, and, past the powerful tartness, especially approachable.

No comments: