Sunday, October 23, 2011

Darkness Madness Part Two

Workers at a neighboring business were so amused by the goings on, they went to the rooftop to photograph the scene. This was just the first instance where I took a picture of someone taking a picture. Is that not hilarious?

Mike is a jovial fellow, brew in hand. He's sporting a Steel Toe cap, in addition to his Surly gear, always leading the charge in support of local brewing, with his wife Kari. Around this time, I opened a couple of bottles I brought along and shared them with friends, like Mike, who were nearby in line. Perhaps the Surly Smoke in his glass, last bottle of the 2009 vintage, is making him smile?

Jesse is plainly a happy camper, though we didn't camp. Our plan was to be there earlier, by 5 am, but there were complications. Chief among them, that Jesse went to Stub and Herb's Darkness Eve event, enjoyed far too many imperial stouts, and had to be awakened by my 4:55 am phone call. I, on the other hand, never went to sleep. Friday night's post about PBR was the last thing I did before locking up, and going straight home, to wait for his call.

Here's Reggie (whose name I hope I've spelled right), who may have some of my Surly Four in her Coffee Bender cup, and whose apprehensive gaze is perhaps due to the young lady coming in our direction, who also had an animal hat on her head. The other woolen critter was a badger, natural enemy to the seal on Reggie's head. Behind her, ...wait, is that guy peeing? Aw, come on! Don't do that! (I was actually encouraged to do that, but instead ran for the port-a-johns far away, and missed out on the wristbands. When I got back, my friends had theirs, and I jumped ahead to catch the volunteers doling them out, assuring everyone that, dude, I was back there, but I just had to go to the john, believe me!)

At this point, with our wristbands on, and our bottles assured, (after all the worry and fret, we were about 50 people away from the cutoff) I wandered up to the front and got a glimpse of what was going on at the tasting tables. On this one we have growlers, bottles, Sexual Chocolate, Canadian Breakfast Stout, New Glarus, Russian River,  Boulevard, water bottles, a program, cups, some Tyranena, Three Floyds, and who knows what else. I do. There's my glass in the corner, and that's Dave Anderson's behind it. So much great beer being shared!

Here's Andy, who does a great deal of work with Harriet Brewing, sometimes delivering kegs to me when I desperately need them. All around him, observe the tents, the campers and the folding chairs. Flannel and stocking caps abound, but, again, it was also 60 and sunny. It's autumn in Minnesota.

Meaghan gives a thumbs up, knowing bottles of Darkness 2011 are in her future.

And Margarita is beaming in comfort, keeping warm with wool and flannel, the sun's glare sufficiently thwarted, and surrounded by plenty of snacks and beverages. In the background, well, I never did figure out what that Beer Geeks truck was all about. Anyone know?

And here we have Daniel, posing next to a lineup of all the beers consumed by his crew.  There was an unopened Surly Five in the mix, and I was shocked by it's inclusion, as if an unopened bottle should stand with the dead soldiers...so I opened it. Mmm, Surly Five. There were many more lined up to capture these images, souveniers of their sumptous beer-y feast, and I began a series of photos of people taking photos, which apparently I still found amusing. I no longer do, so these pictures will not be shared here. Coming soon: part three!

No comments: