Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Founders Harvest Ale

Tis the season. Not of Oktoberfests, and pumpkin brews, but fresh hop/wet hop ales. I missed out on one of my favorites, Fresh Hop from Town Hall, aside from a pint at the pub Saturday, and I've neither tapped nor tasted Surly Wet yet. But I am enjoying Founders Harvest Ale. It went on tap Thursday, sold well, and was yanked off Saturday for the Belgian event. Back on again last night. I had to get a glass tonight before it's gone, just to take this picture and make this entry. Went digging through the glassware reserves, only to discover how difficult it is to really make the writing on the glass show through. ah, well, you can figure it out. I didn't need to take notes, though, because it seems I'd first had it in a bottle, back in January, 2008 through a beer trade. (It's better on tap.) Here's what I said then:


Hazy and orange, sizeable off-white head.

Huge citrus=y aromatics, plenty of grapefruit in this...pure, unadorned, raw and up-in-your-face hops, hops, hops, hops...I like it!

Bigger blast on the tongue, fierce and fresh, juicy, and just bitter enough, but never quite too much. Hop flavor remains on the palate seemingly forever. I like that, too.

Crisp and refeshing, hop head-style. My kind of session beer, even at 7%. I could drink a case of you and still be on my feet.

Full body, full flavor, slightly out of balance, but that's what the style is, and that's what I desire.

No comments: