Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Dave's BrewFarm Saison Bois de Peche

A growler brought back from Wilson, WI by my friend Jason. He didn't bring back a menu, and I haven't talked to Dave in a while, so I'm guessing this means it's a wood aged peach saison?
{Edit: This information was obtained at a subsequent visit: 8% Pils and caramel malts, brown sugar, a healthy dose of Magnum and Sterling hops and a late kettle addition of peach wood all fermented with a classic Belgian saison yeast.}(Bois is French for wood.) Is that right? I didn't know he was doing any wood-aging, ...or, I could be wrong. In any case, here are the notes I took when  I took this growler down:
Dave's BrewFarm Saison bois de Peche (?)

Clear, light, amber/peachy coloration, slim head.

Aroma: light bitterness, some Belgian funk, then comes the fruit. Nice stuff. 

Taste: Sweet fruit mixed with Belgian -style funky flavor. Ends dry. rounds out nicely. Very even, very cool. Smooth, lightly spicy, Mmm, nice and hoppy, clean and bitter.



3 comments:

Lanny said...

Hey Al,
This is a beer that Dave originally made for my anniversary party back in August. It's aged on peach wood, but not barrel aged. He and I have sort of collaborated on a few wood-aged saisons over the past couple of years and all have been striking beers. And by collaborate, I mean that I email him saying "Why don't we try peach wood this time?" and then he does the rest.

Lanny

Al McCarty said...

thanks for the information, Lanny!

Does peach-wood, mean wood from a peach tree, then?

Lanny said...

Yes, sir. Wood hewn from a peach tree.