Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Town Hall Lava Porter

I had to double check the name on this one. Why "Lava" porter? Is it hot? Molten? Did they mean Java Porter, which they already make? There must be an explanation somewhere, but until they are discovered, here come the notes....


Town Hall Lava Porter.

totally black. toasty tan head, starts big, dwindles down.

Dark malt and cocoa in the nose, little hops, roasty and slightly sweet.

Flavor-wise, it's smooth and creamy, roasted malt and cocoa, with espresso hints, as well. Medium bodied and expertly drinkable. Almost milky, certainly silky. 



2 comments:

Mikey said...

I just opened my growler and was also puzzled by the name.

But the three of us drinking it love it and your description is perfectly accurate.

Great beer that I'd buy again. Town Hall continues to do it right!

Al McCarty said...

I've since learned that the name comes from an attempt in this beer to recreate the flavors of Chocolate Lava Cake. This was in the original description, which I never read.