Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Great Divide Smoked Baltic Porter

Been away for a bit, due to computer troubles. The good folks at the Apple Store fixed me right up, and even got me a replacement power cord for free, bless their hearts. Good thing I didn't just go out and spend $80 on a new one.
Did I abstain, in the meanwhile? You don't know me very well, do you? No, I went old school, and took pen to paper. Which means I have to go back and decipher my handwriting (one of the reasons I still haven't done the photo essay of the epic Darkness vertical tasting, back on October 30.) So, we've got a bit of a backlog to wade though, and I'll begin with one that I typed on the MacBook the night before it decided not to work, leaving the notes trapped inside. Here it is, Great Divide's Smoked Baltic Porter:


Great Divide Smoked Baltic Porter. Great Dived Brewing, Denver, CO. "Smoked Baltic Porter is  the sultry sister of a storied style. Brewed with traditional German malts and hops, this dark lager gets it;s special twist from a hefty addition of Bamberg smoked malt. This smoldering, medium-bodied lager is sure to please. Smoked Baltic Porter  is smooth, smoky and dark…mysterious enough yet?"

Blackness in full. Smallish tan head. 

Soft and mellow smoked malt aromatics. Cocoa and espresso, some figs and dates.

Taste: Smooth, and warm, and wonderful. Medium-bodied, easy-drinking, slick and supple. Smoked malt is always lingering, but never large or intrusive. Some cocoa still apparent, but not dominant. 

I liked this one just fine, but it never once was I taken aback and found myself saying, "Oooo, sultry!" 

No comments: